Thursday, September 10, 2015

[Blogtember Challenge] My Bucket List






To be honest, bucket lists have never really been my 'thing'. I have hopes and dreams, but writing them down is difficult for me. Perhaps it is because when I look at it I see the things that I have missed, and not the thigns I have achieved. I am not always a glass half full person, and to see all of the things I want to do but haven't isn't always the easiest for me. However, I decided to suck it up for the challenge and put down some of the things I hope to accomplish in this life, and looking at it now, I feel good and motivated. Maybe bucket lists aren't so bad after all!

1. Go to Greece. This is the top of the bucket list. I would love, love, love to see this country. Something about the combination of both European and Middle Eastern culture fascinates me. And hello Santorini. Any girl who grew up during the era of Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants era wants to go there, and if you say you don't, you are lying.


2. Take a road trip. I have always driven to a destination, spent my time there, and driven home. I would love to hop in the car and have the drive be part of the trip. Ideally, I would love to hit up the Rockies and west coast; I am thinking drive through the mountains to Seattle, then work my way down the seaboard, ending in Southern California so Mike and I can live out our fantasy lives in the OC with Ryan and Marissa. #goals

3. Run a half marathon. I have zero desire to ever, and I mean EVER run a marathon, but I think I would feel a major sense of accomplishment if I could do a half marathon. My typical runs that I try to manage a few times a week are 3, 4 miles tops, so right in that 5K distance. I am not a fast runner, and I will never win a race. But a half marathon, or maybe even a 10K would be a cool opportunity to push myself past my current comfort zone with my running.
4. Build my own house. Throughout our home buying/selling process (which is still a work in progress) we realized that in building a house, you have total control. We walked through a few houses that we liked, minus the kitchen. Or minus the walls and bedroom that needed desparate remodeling. Or despite the lack of walk in closets. But guess what? When you build a house, you literally can pick the floor plan and design you want to a T. I am not ignorant, and know that a whole new set of headaches and stress comes with home building, but once we started digging into floor plans, I quickly realized that building is likely the only route we can go, because we can have exactly what we want.
5. Dance with my son at his wedding. I truly started thinking about this moment before he was even born. And already it gets me choked up. I picture my tall, dark, and handsome Jax walking away from me to another, and I about lose it. But that moment of dancing with him makes me so happy to think about, because I know he will always be my baby, and I hope and pray he always adores me like he does now. There is no love like the love a mother has for her son [except maybe the love a mother has for her daughter ;-)]
6. See Wicked. We saw Phantom of the Opera at the Orpheum in Minneapolis two years ago, and absolutely LOVED it. Mike bought the CD and played that soundtrack to the point that I could barely stand to hear it. My football loving, jersey wearing, construction working hubby loves musicals, who knew? Wicked is at the top of my list. The next time it comes to town, I will have tickets in hand, without a doubt.
7. Own a wedding dress shop. Okay, this is more of a drema than a bucket list item, but if I could quit my dayjob and had the money to do it, I would 100% love to be a wedding dress boutique owner. I love the fashions and trends in bridal, and how amazing that every day of work you will be witnessing women as they go through a once in a lifetime moment! And also, so. many. sparkles.

8. Be a boss. I am not getting my MBA because I think the letters are pretty and I like the way it sounds (of course I do, to both of those things). I want to be a leader. I want to inspire. I want to find that work-life balance where, despite stress and struggles, I put my family first, but come home from work feeling accomplished and like I am making a difference and having a positive impact on others. I will get there, because I have decided I will.
9. Be 'that house' during the holidays. You know, glitter, garland, twinkle lights, the whole nine yards. I grew up in a house that was decked out for the holidays, and honestly, when I go to the homes of relatives and friends who do little to nothing, it makes me sad. It almost feels like their homes suck the holiday cheer right out of me. That will not be me. I want my kids to spend the holidays waking up every morning and feeling magical, excited to hop down the stairs and see what surprises may be awaiting them. Nothing beats the holidays, and I am going to do them right.

10. Swim with dolphins. I don't keep a bucket list. Really. BUT, this was literally my one and only bucket list item forever, and I got to check it off the list on our honeymoon. As soon as we had booked the trip, I told my husband I would be doing this, no questions asked. I did, and it was awesome. I will say, it wasn't quite as incredible of an experience as I had always dreamed of, but swimming with those sweet guys was the best. One kept swimming off to the corner and refusing to come play, and it completely reminded me of a five year old pouting in the corner. Watching their tricks, seeing how intelligent they were, and also importantly, how loved they were by the staff was just the greatest.

Really, my bucket list is simple, and I don't have much for big, crazy dreams. I am just not a big, crazy dreamer of a person. I do truly hope I can accomplish every last thing listed above, because those are the little things that I know make for a happy family and a happy life. #lifegoals for the win.


Brave Love Blog

2 comments:

  1. I would LOVE to go to Greece! That is a good one :) Owing a wedding dress shop would be such a fun thing and could be possible for you one day! Don't stop dreaming girl! I love all of these and #5 is so sweet and touching. I love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wicked was such an amazing show, you HAVE to see it! I love road trips too! They're my favorite kind of trip!

    ReplyDelete

 
End of code a066643bb8ed59c9c7b30b6330a639ea796168fa0a83aa603f