Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Caramel Apple Pie

Anyone who knows me knows of my love for baking. No day is complete without a little something sweet. I may or may not have stopped at Mickey Ds on the way home from night class and be enjoying a chocolate shake while watching the VS fashion show. Makes sense, right?

Due to my love of baking, my husband has tasted many, many different concoctions that I have tried out. Most he likes, some he doesn't, and some I get the thumbs up and a 'definitely make that again'. For Thanksgiving this year I decided to make a caramel apple pie. Of course, I hit up my go-to recipe book, pinterest, made a few slight tweaks, and ended up with the following recipe. It looked and smelled good enough, but I did not expect the response I got from Mike, which was:
"This is hands down the best dessert you have ever made. EVER."

I debated adding more apples, cutting back the amount of topping, or just making little tweaks. I was forbidden. "Don't. Change. One. Thing. It is PERFECT." Ok that makes it easy. So, from the mouth of my man, here is the recipe to the best apple pie. EVER.

Ingredients:
-premade pie crust (of course you can try out making your own, but this girl aint got time for that)
-8 sliced granny smith apples, peeled and cored
1/4 cup brown sugar
3 tablespoons corn starch
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

Topping
3/4 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup oats
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup white sugar
1/2 cup coconut oil

Caramel
1 cup white sugar
1/4 cup light corn syrup
6 tablespoons butter
6 tablespoons heavy cream
1 teaspoon vanilla.

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
OK so to start get out your pie crust. Poke some holes in that crust with a fork so you don't get any bubbles while baking.
Combine your apples, brown sugar, corn starch, and cinnamon, and pour the mixture onto your pie crust.

Combine all of the topping ingredients in a large bowl and mix by hand until crumbly. *make sure you get all of those coconut oil bits broken down and mixed well.
Pour the dry mix over the top of the apple mix and pie crust.
Bake for 45 minutes. Depending on your oven, the pie will get brown, watch it towards the end to make sure it doesn't burn.

While the pie is baking, make the caramel sauce.
Combine sugar and corn syrup in a saucepan on the stove.
Cook and stir often, until the mixture turns a deep, golden color.
Remove the mix from heat and add the butter first, then the cream, then the vanilla (one at a time).

Allow the pie and the caramel sauce to cool completely.
Pour that delicious caramel over the top of that delicious pie (use as much as you want, I really don't think you can have TOO much caramel).

Enjoy!
Do any of you have any favorite recipes or desserts you always get requests for!?

1 comment:

  1. This sounds so good! I used to love baking & then kind of stopped. One thing I would make that always got good reviews were some lemon bars. And I made a cheesecake...I loved that. :)

    ReplyDelete

 
End of code a066643bb8ed59c9c7b30b6330a639ea796168fa0a83aa603f