Thursday, February 9, 2017

Our Valentine's Traditions

I am so excited today to be participating in a link-up that a few of my favorite bloggers are all hosting! On the second Thursday of every month, we will be writing on a different topic, and this week, it is our Valentine's Day traditions!
I will be honest, I have never been huge into Valentine's Day. Back in my high school days, I had a boyfriend who took me out to eat, and I hated it! The lines were outrageous, the menu items were cut down to accommodate the busy kitchen, and we were rushed in and out so the next people could have our table. I found nothing about this to be romantic, and since have always stuck around the house for the holiday!
Due to our constantly changing family and housing dynamics over the past few years, we don't really have any hard and fast traditions for Valentine's Day. There are a few things I try to do every year, especially now that we have kids.
My absolute favorite thing to do during Valentine's Day is to create cutout heart sugar cookies. A fun backstory, I found out I was pregnant right around Christmas of 2013. Of course, the news was fresh so we kept it to ourselves throughout the holidays, minus our parents. But, I hit that 12 week mark right on Valentine's Day, so I figured it would be the perfect time to let the cat out of the bag! I frosted all of the hearts and made them look like sweetheart candies, and put a big white letter on each individual cookie before snapping a pic to share with our family.
Since then, I really look forward to making these every year, and cannot believe the time has flown so quickly and we will be able to start making our cookies with that little baby we didn't even know yet in this announcement!
For other little traditions, when our kids and schedules allow, Mike and I have cooked meals together, which can be so much fun. Of course, we really aren't in that season of life this year, so I am leaning towards perhaps a heart shaped pizza for dinner ;-)
For the boys, I bought each a little gift and plan to give that to them on the day. Nothing big or crazy, but I did grow up always having even the little holidays recognized in some way, and I think it makes those little moments so special!
 
I can't wait to see what everyone else does as their Valentine's Day traditions!
 

8 comments:

  1. Oh my word, that pregnancy announcement is seriously too cute! LOVE IT! I discovered my love for sugar cookies for Christmas, so I can totally get behind that tradition. I have always wanted to do a heart shaped pizza - keeping that in mind for next year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not going to lie, I saw this picture and my heart skipped a beat for a second thinking it was now! ;) I love that y'all did this; so super cute. We never go out to eat, either. It's just too much and everything is so much more expensive! I typically cook a nice meal and we eat it after the boys go to bed...but I'm with you, probably going to go with the heart-shaped pizza this year. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those heart shaped cookies look amazing and how much fun would a heart shaped pizza be!?! What a great announcement that was. Thank you so much for linking up with us :) Beautifully Candid

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your plans. Easy, but fun. Those sugar cookies look really good and a fun tradition for you to carry on with your boys. I love the idea of heart shaped pizzas. Maybe we will do that instead of take out. Or take out from pizza. Ha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness, if those cookies aren't the cutest things!! What an original baby announcement! And I'm totally with you on the going out to eat. The few times that B and I actually went ON the actual day, it was really more of a hassle than anything. I remember one year we had a reservation somewhere and we STILL waited over an hour to be seated. Ridiculous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those cookies are awesome!! What a cute way to announce a pregnancy! I love that now that's a tradition for you to make them. Thanks for linking up with us!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like your idea to give a simple gifts on Valentine's Day. I'm in the same boat - I don't usually do a TON for holidays, but want to recognize them somehow. Thanks for stopping by the linkup, and glad to have found your blog and Instagram :)

    ReplyDelete

 
End of code a066643bb8ed59c9c7b30b6330a639ea796168fa0a83aa603f