Monday, September 1, 2014

Labor Day baking session

As we finally get into somewhat of a routine with a baby, I felt the need to do some baking. I LOVE to bake. I also love trying out new things and discovering new recipes. After hearing someone mention they had been craving black and white cookies, I was intrigued. How had I never heard of these? I did some hunting (on Pinterest of course) and found lots of recipes for these mystery cookies I had never heard of. I found a recipe that looked good, bought up the ingredients (most of which are likely already in your pantry) and dove in.

I was a bit surprised at how time consuming they were to make when it was all said and done. They weren't the most tedious thing I had ever baked, but they definitely are NOT your quick batch of chocolate chip cookies. For the 200th time since receiving it as a wedding gift, I was SO grateful for my kitchenaid mixer. To think I used to cream butter and sugar BY HAND. I am not sure how I survived, really.

One thing I really liked about these cookies was the slightly citrus flavor from the lemon extract. It added just a touch of additional tartness to contrast the more rich flavor of the icing. I would definitely make these cookies again, when I have a whole afternoon open, and perhaps once I have a baby that can take a bottle who doesn't demand a meal as I am halfway through icing ;-)

Ingredients:
 

Cookies:
4 cups cake flour (I could not find cake flour at the grocery store, but I found a conversion online to use all purpose and subtract 2 tablespoons per every 1 cup. This worked fine for me!)
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
1 3/4 cups sugar
2 large eggs
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 tsp. lemon extract
1 cup milk

Glaze (both the white and dark)
2 oz. unsweetened chocolate
1/4 cup light corn syrup
1/3 cup water
5 cups confectioners sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
milk, as needed

Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.

For the cookies, mix the flour, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Set aside.

In large mixer, beat the butter until smooth and creamy. Add the sugar gradually, and beat on medium/high for about 3 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Blend in the eggs, vanilla, and lemon extracts.

On low speed, blend in the flour mix and milk, alternating between the two, starting and ending with the flour mix. (so, add 1/4 the flour mix, 1/3 the milk, the next 1/4 of the flour mix, etc.)

Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper. Place six 1/4 cup globs of dough on each sheet (12 cookies total). This will use half of your batter (you will end up baking two 'batches', 4 sheets of cookies, for 24 total cookies). Moisten your fingers with water and gently press the dough into disks 2.5 inches wide and 3/4 inches thick.

Bake the cookies for 20 minutes, switching the racks the two sheets are placed on half way through a the 10 minute mark. Cool completely before icing.

Icing:

Using a double boiler, or placing a bowl over a saucer of boiling water, melt down the chocolate. Set aside. (I found this shouldn't be done TOO soon, to ensure the chocolate doesn't harden.

Bring the corn syrup and water to a boil. Remove from heat and add the confectioners sugar and vanilla.

Add 3/4 cups of the glaze to the chocolate and mix well.

To ice, begin with the white glaze and frost half of the BOTTOM of each cookie. I read this and it seemed strange, but after completing them it makes sense, as the bottom provides a nice, flat surface to ensure you get the 'black and white' effect. Allow the glaze to harden, about 10-15 minutes.

Repeat the process on the other side of the cookie with the chocolate glaze.

Store in an airtight container.

 

mid icing/process, baby decided he was hungry, so Mike took over icing the chocolate side. at least a few cookies still turned out semi-pretty..ahh, a man's decorative touch.

 
These were definitely tasty. They are also big cookies, so they would be great to bring to a party or to make when you have guests. I usually pack up half of anything I bake almost immediately to be given to family, and these big, low calorie cookies were no exception. Their bellies (and my waistline!) always thank me!
 





No comments:

Post a Comment

 
End of code a066643bb8ed59c9c7b30b6330a639ea796168fa0a83aa603f