Tuesday, September 9, 2014

I try Pinterest recipes, some are seriously up to the hype.

Last weekend was technically the first weekend of fall (because Labor Day is the last day of summer, right?) and it felt like it! Friday was just perfect. If I could bottle up the weather and have every day of the year be just like that, I would. The little man did NOT sleep well the night before, so we had a lazy day. He went down for a nap around lunch time, and I decided to try out a Pinterest recipe. I had plans to run to the store for whatever goods I might need, but after our rough night I just didn't have it in me to take my babe out of his crib. Besides, he has to learn how to sleep in there eventually! So, I looked in my kitchen and saw..ripe bananas. I turned to my desserts page on Pinterest and found this. And I actually had every single ingredient on hand, which never happens. Ready, GO.

Let me tell you, this recipe is every bit as good as it is made out to be. The frosting is seriously so delicious, I was tempted to just eat spoonfuls and not put it on the dessert. I displayed some self control, and most of the frosting ended up in the right place.

I will point out the recipe calls for an 11x15 pan, which I don't have, so I just went with a 9x13. This made these very un-brownie like (not a bad thing). I would 100% say my finished product was a cake. That is fine by me, because really I can never say no to cake.

Ingredients:
Brownies:
1.5 cups sugar
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup butter, softened 
***I only had 1 stick of butter and the frosting also calls for it, so I substituted 1/2 cup coconut oil. Tasted great and a little bit healthier!
2 eggs
3-4 ripe bananas, mashed
2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
3/4 tsp. salt
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
***I didn't have walnuts, so I threw in some pecans instead

Frosting:
1/2 cup butter
4 cups powdered sugar
1.5 tsp. vanilla extract
3 Tbsp. milk

1. Heat oven to 375 Fahrenheit. Grease your baking pan.
2. Beat together sugar, sour cream, butter(coconut oil) and eggs until creamy.
3. Add in bananas and vanilla extract.
4. Add flour, baking soda, and salt.
5. Add nuts.
6. Spread into pan and bake 20-25 minutes or until golden brown (For the 9x13 pan, I upped my bake time to 30-35 minutes).

7. For frosting, put stick of butter in a saucepan. Heat over medium until boiling. Let the butter turn a light brown, and once this happens remove from heat immediately.
***I was unsure about this, but if you watch it closely, you will see the change in color from yellow to brown. If you let it go too long, it will turn into 'burnt' butter, not good.

8. Whisk in the butter, vanilla extract, and milk.
9. Spread frosting over the brownies while they are still warm (this will help it spread smoothly). 




I would make these every day if I could. They make a great dessert, but would also be awesome with coffee/at a breakfast event. SO GOOD. I can't get over it.

For more awesome recipes, check out lifessimplemeasures.blogspot.com/




No comments:

Post a Comment

 
End of code a066643bb8ed59c9c7b30b6330a639ea796168fa0a83aa603f