Friday, February 6, 2015

Being tall

For those of you who don't already know; I am tall. Like, really tall, people comment everywhere I go and I have never worn high heels for fear of being an amazon woman kind of tall. And for all of my life, I have despised it. I have mastered the art of popping my hip out almost all of the time to create the illusion of being 2 inches shorter. I online shop like a pro to find flat shoes that aren't completely hideous or ruin an outfit. I stand on slanted ground so that in pictures you would swear my husband is, in fact, taller than me (we argue on this one: I say we are even, he claims I have him by a hair. But hey, the guy married me, so clearly my height isn't too much of an issue). 
Popped hip, standing on a slanted rock. My finest height deception skills hard at work.
And the reality. Likely arguing over who is taller.

As you can see so far, my height is not something I typically wear with pride. And, that can be a challenge, considering height is not exactly something I can downplay or disguise. I specifically remember coming home from being measured for a figure skating costume in middle school and being so upset over how tall I measured that I sat in the shower and I cried. And cried. And prayed to God to please just make me a little bit shorter. God works in mysterious ways, and the big guy upstairs didn't magically shorten my legs like I requested. However, in the past year I really feel like I have finally grown into my height (pardon the pun). I still have days where I wish I was shorter, but I have noticed my list of pros is getting longer than I knew it would, and so after years of dwelling on why I hate being tall, I am going to reflect on all the reasons it's not so bad.

1. Food: most people always guess my weight to be a solid 30 pounds less than I actually weigh. Why? Because when you are tall that weight is spread out and you have more body that need nourishment. And so, I am allowed to eat more than all of you ladies without gaining weight (or, I at least can eat quite a bit more before the pounds start creeping on). This is a wonderful partnership with my sweet tooth, truly. I am not saying I can eat endlessly and not gain weight, but I do need to watch the portions a bit less, which I can't complain about.
2. Being pregnant: finally. FINALLY I saw the extreme advantages of being tall while pregnant. Little Jax attack had plenty of room to grow without needing to stretch my belly out like a torpedo. I wasn't particularly achy, I was able to wear my regular pants well beyond the halfway point, and I really just saw my body taking less of a hit, and I credit this to my height. I should knock on wood, my next pregnancy may very well be a nightmare, but at least I know any babes I grow have plenty of room to stretch, grow, and play.
3. Better view: this one is pretty obvious. I can see over everyone's head. I can reach things on the top shelf. I am easy to spot in a crowd. I also get to feel great when not so tall people ask for my assistance in doing tall people type things. Being tall has forced me to be a Good Samaritan, at least some of the time.
4. Passing it onto my son: after decades of despising my height, I am excited to have a boy now that (so far) seems to be taking after me in the height department. He is already my tall, dark, and handsome, and he is only 6 months old. With my genes and his daddy's love of all things sports, I am hoping one day he will be appreciative of his height.
5. Shopping: ok, so this one is kind of a pro/con. I am a 36 inch inseam, wear a size 11 shoe, and have fabulously long arms (note sarcasm). However, I am grateful because in the past 5 or so years, it seems like everyone is starting to accommodate tall gals. The buckle, gap, old navy, american eagle..all of them have rolled out extra long and tall sizes in almost all of their clothing options, and for that I am so grateful. I really cannot say enough how nice it is to have options besides the Buckle. I love their jeans, but not the price tag. The day has finally come that I can find a pair of clearance jeans online for $20. Hallelujah!! Now if I can get Target on board with carrying tall sizes, I will be their most dedicated customer for life.

I am not going to lie and say I wake up every day loving that I am tall. I still get grumpy. I still smile through clenched teeth when people feel the need to tell me that I am tall, as if I didn't already know. There are positives though, and I am stuck with the height I have been given, so I am continuing to move forward and enjoy the advantages instead of dwelling on the negatives. And in case you were wondering about the weather, yes, the air is better up here. ;-)

1 comment:

  1. I love this!! I am 4'10" and while I always dreamed of being at least 5'0" I've come to accept my height as well. And I'm happy to have people like you around to help get things down from high places for me! :) I am definitely very jealous of how much you can eat because I do need to very carefully watch my calorie intake.
    Thank you for a fun read!

    ReplyDelete

 
End of code a066643bb8ed59c9c7b30b6330a639ea796168fa0a83aa603f